Re: issue: externally defined semantic annotations

Hi Rama,

thanks for writing this up. I've logged it as issue 4 at
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/sawsdl/issues/#x4

I believe the point you quote from the charter bars us from defining an
actual language for expressing semantic models, akin to OWL or WSML or
UML. The word "external" in that line refers to the external semantics
to which our annotations (within WSDL) will point to, not to where the
pointers are to be located.

So this particular sentence doesn't stop us from creating a standalone
format for capturing the annotation pointers, tying WSDL components and
semantic model entities, outside the actual WSDL file.

However, the scope gives us the task "to define one or more properties
of WSDL 2.0 components to point to additional semantics", which means
"within WSDL 2.0 documents", as WSDL doesn't have a mechanism to gather
properties of components from external, non-WSDL files.

Therefore I now plan to suggest in the next teleconference that we
postpone issue 4 until we're done with our SAWSDL spec, as an external
format would constitute new work, and probably a significant new XML
language. We can reconsider this issue when we think of what to do next.

Please note that I'm not expressing any judgment on the relative
advantages or disadvantages of such an external format.

Is this all right with you? 8-)

Thanks,

Jacek