Re: Inconsistent format of our xml files - some DOS and some UNIX

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Katy Warr wrote:

I just did a few changes before reading your email, one of them was to
align the format between all the documents, and the other was to add a
"previous link" in the document, linking to the latest published draft (as
we are building on that). It will server also when we publish new
versions.
If you want to change the encoding of the main xml files, feel free ot do
it, to whatever best suits everybody's editing environment.

> I've done some investigation regarding the extra lines that are appearing
> in the files and it looks like there is in inconsistency with respect to
> the format in which they are checked into CVS.  I'm using notepad++
> http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/download.php in order to view the
> files as this allows you to see the CR and LFs and also allows you to see
> the format (MAC, UNIX, DOS).
>
> Here's what I found (looking at the .xml files):
>
> - WS-RT, WS-Enum, WS-Mex have [LF] at the end of each line - UNIX format
> - WS-T and WS-Eventing have [CR] [LF] at the end of each line - DOS format
>
> There is an option to 'default to DOS' when checking out using TortoiseCVS
> which I have set currently.  So, when I check out, this adds a [CR] at the
> end of each line.  Result is:
>
> - WS-RT, WS-Enum, WS-Mex have [CR] [LF] at the end of each line - DOS
> format  - i.e. correct for NT
> - WS-T and WS-Eventing have [CR] [CR] [LF] at the end of each line - MAC
> format  - i.e. not good - extra lines inserted.
>
> I could fix this by switching my CVS preferences depending on the file ...
> but it's not a nice solution and I assume that this problem effects others
> working on NT.
>
> Please could we agree on a file format (unix or dos) and apply this
> consistently across all of the 5 xml files?  I'm happy to convert the
> files that need changing (notepad++ will do it automatically) and re-check
> in.
>
> What do folks think?
> Thanks
> Katy