Re: Ordering of Assertions: Comment on WS-Policy Primer LCWD

Hi Bob

I'm thinking that may be a single value for an attribute like this one would do. I'm fime with "mandated" for ex.

Furthermore I believe any enforcement is out of scope for the policy framework, as it's not the engine's responsibilty
to enforce any behaviors associated with given policy assertions. Given this, I feel an attribute like this is kind of extension to the core policy schema because whatever in the core schema defines has some meaning to the policy engine.

For example :
<Policy wspe:ordering="mandated" xmlns:wspe="www.w3.org/ms/ws-policy/extensions">
    <A/>
    <B/>
</Policy>

Basically, we're just using an extension attribute (thanks to the extensibilty available through the core schema) to convey the policy author's hint to the consumer entity which interacts with the policy engine. As far the policy engine is concerned, it does not know what wspe:ordering="mandated" means. On the other hand, the entity which understands this extension is given a hint that the ordering of behaviors is the same as the order of corresponding assertions.

I don't think though that a consumer which understands this extension needs to throw exceptions. It's too strict. For ex, policy unaware consumer can stil ltalk to the policy-aware provider, it's up to the provider to verify and enforce that the consumer has done things as expected...

So I'm kind of positive about an extension like this one. What bothers :-) me a bit though : is it really a last call issue given that it's out of scope for the framework ? Do you agree it's out of scope for the framework ?

Thanks, Sergey