Re: AIN, NOBI and composition

Monica,

Let's review what the proposal I have offered says:

        [Definition: A policy alternative is a potentially empty
collection of policy assertions.] An alternative with
        zero assertions indicates no behaviors. An alternative with one or
more assertions indicates behaviors implied by
        those, and only those assertions. No other behaviors are to be
applied for the alternative.

Let me reiterate the key phrase here, this time, with emphasis added:

         An alternative with one or more assertions indicates behaviors
implied by
        those, and ONLY those assertions.

Note that this is text that is currently in the CR spec.

What I have offered is effectively a clarification that is intended to
make it clear that this means that it is a
closed statement with regards to the set of behaviors used to interact
with that endpoint.

Frankly, I don't understand the distinction you are trying to make here.

The second sentence in Dave O's note is NOT the interpretation that I read
into: "No other behaviors are to be
applied to the alternative". There is no mention in that sentence that the
behaviors implied by assertions absent
in the alternative not being applied. That would, as Dan has correctly
pointed out, result in policy assertions
having the potential to cancel eachother out (as in the RSP and RM case he
cited) which would be bad.

There is a clear distinction between Dave O's 1 and 2. The proposal
offered by IBM doesn't even come
close to saying Dave O's #2, certainly not in my mind. Again, there is no
mention in the last sentence of
the absent assertions. There is only a statement that closes the set of
behaviors to be applied in the
context of an alternative that limits the set of behaviors to the set
implied by the assertions IN that
alternative.

What we want is something that makes it clear that all you need to do is
follow the policy in order to interact.

What I said that IBM could NOT live with was Dave O's option 3, whcih
derives from the language that
you had offered about "makes no claims".

        AIN Removal: Any assertion not in alternative means nothing.  It
may or
may not be applied.

If we leave things open (as in the "makes no claims" case) then there is
the potential that a policy can be
incomplete with regards to specifying the behaviors necessary to interact
with the policy subject, thus requiring
some unspecified OOB means of determining the set of behaviors that are
needed, but not specified in the
policy (the proverbial secret handshake). To us, that is not acceptable
because it significantly reduces
the value of policy to being nothing more than a hint.

I would also like to clarify that this is not about enforcement. The
framework cannot enforce anything
(at least as we understand it). If an endpoint wants to "color outside the
lines", it is free to do that,
but it can have no expectation of interoperability with the policy subject
to which a policy applies
if it does so. The language that we have added does not include any
normative RFC2119 language
(e.g. an endpoint MUST NOT apply any behaviors). It simply says that the
set of behaviors
expressed by the assertions IN an alternative is a closed set of behaviors
that are used for
interaction with the attached policy subject in the context of a given
alternative.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy