RE: Utility of Ignorable?

I now understand the rationale better.  Where a service does not want to
"lie" about an assertion being applied, it will mark that with
Optional="false" and ignorable=true.  A client can choose lax mode to
guarantee intersection with such assertions, or strict mode to ensure
that only those it knows about will be intersected with.

Cheers,
Dave