RE: Editorial issues

> Should the first sentence read " ... a policy alternative with zero policy assertions"?

Yes, we think so too. We suggest that a CR issue be raised for this change.

>Conversely, it seems odd that <Policy/> should denote an
>alternative not a policy.  Intuitively, an empty <Policy/> seems
>like it should denote either a policy with no alternatives,
>or perhaps a policy with a single empty alternative.

<Policy/> is a policy with a single empty policy alternative. Why? The Policy operator is equivalent to the All operator. A collection of assertions in an All operator is equivalent to a policy alternative. In this specific case, it is an empty alternative. That is, a policy with a single empty policy alternative.

> However, this seems counter-intuitive in the context of intersection, and "all of the assertions in both alternatives"

It is neither set union nor set intersection. It literally means all of the assertions in both alternatives.

We hope this helps.

Regards,

Asir S Vedamuthu
Microsoft Corporation