  From: Christopher B Ferris
  To: Sergey Beryozkin
  Cc: public-ws-policy@w3.org ; public-ws-policy-request@w3.org
  Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:55 PM
  Subject: Re: Treatment of optional/ignorable attributes in framework and primer

  Sergey,

  We discussed this briefly on today's call. I just wanted to confirm with you that you do NOT have intent on this
  becoming an issue with the Framework specification.

  Cheers,

  Christopher Ferris
  STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy
  email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
  blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/chrisferris
  phone: +1 508 234 2986

  public-ws-policy-request@w3.org wrote on 06/13/2007 01:44:17 PM:

  > Hi
  >
  > I wanted to start some discussion on what I feel some
  > ambiguity/assymetry in the way optional and ignorable attributes are
  > covered in the framework and the primer. I don't want to open a bug
  > and open a can of worms :-) but just to see if at least there's some
  > agreement on what I'm going to say. If yes then perhaps some
  > primer/framework text can be updated in this version of the spec or
  > in the v.next
  >
  > Framework : wsp:optional is just a syntactic shortcut, indicates the
  > assertion will be present in one alternative and not in the other one
  > Primer :       wsp:optional expresses the capability/behaviour the
  > client may optionally engage
  >
  > When a provider uses wsp:optional assertions the primer's
  > description is more applicable, the policy author thinks how the
  > service can be accessed by the clients and uses wsp:optional
  > assertions when appropriate. The framework description has a
  > secondary role when a policy author creates a policy on the provider's side.
  > When a requester uses wsp:optional assertions only the framework
  > description applies, the primer's decription does not seem to have
  > any sense on the requester's side.
  >
  > Framework : wsp:ignorable indicated this assertion is ignorable for
  > the intersection purposes
  > Primer : "The wsp:Ignorable attribute allows providers to clearly
  > indicate which policy assertions indicate behaviors that don't
  > manifest on the wire and may not be of concern to a requester when
  > determining policy compatibility. Using the wsp:Optional attribute
  > would be incorrect in this scenario, since it would indicate that
  > the behavior would not occur if the alternative without the
  > assertion were selected. "
  >
  > Similar to the way I described providers and requesters deal with
  > wsp:optional...
  >
  > Any comments ?
  >

  > Thanks, Sergey

  > Registered Number: 171387