Re: Policy alternatives, negation, [Non]AnonResponse assertion and the none URI

Ashok,

So you are saying (I'm rephrasing to get clarity) that:
"... does not apply .." => one MUST NOT do whatever the missing
assertion asked one to do.
Right?
If so, the spec needs to be clarified to make it clear. This was not
clear to a lot of folks on WS-Addressing.

Additionally, does this negation effect apply to only top-level
assertions or nested assertions as well. IOW, are nested assertions part
of the vocabulary.

One not obvious (not to me) side-effect of this 'negation' is the following:

Consider the scenario where two very complicated polices are created by
the IT department. Let's call them P1 and P2. I'm required to use P1 or
P2 on services that are exposed outside the firewall. P1 contains an
assertion A that is absent in P2. If I advertise P1 only then I have to
do whatever A asks me to do. If I advertise P2 only, I may or may not
use A (as it is not part of the vocabulary) -- it is up to me. If I
advertise a policy that says either of P1 or P2 and P2 is selected, I
cannot use A. This is very surprising (at least to me). This does not
follow the 'principle of least surprise'. "OR"ing operation in other
contexts does not introduce negation based on vocabulary set. I'm
curious as to the rationale for this. In any case, guidance and
clarification in the spec or the primer would be very useful.

-Anish