Re: NEW ISSUE: New Attribute keyword to identify 'local' policies #3721

Hi folks,

The more I think about this the more I'm convinced that it is more
appropriate for advertising features or qualities of service that do
not require action by the consumer. So using an earlier example that
Sergey used with a modification

  <wsdl:port>
  <soap:address location="http://foo"/>
  <wsp:Policy>...
    <sp:HTTPSToken/>
    <custom:HighAvailability wsp:local="true"/>
  </wsp:Policy>
</wsdl:port>

Though HighAvailability might require the server to do some extra
configuration the reason for putting it in the WSDL is not for
configuration but for providing extra information that MAY be of
interest to the consumer but would NOT prohibit the consumer from
using the service if they can't understand it - they can ignore it.

The idea of using this as a mechanism for providers to strip on
configuration information gets weaker - especially when making the
above argument.  "How do it know?" ;-) to strip or not to strip?

That ideas was that wsp:local would provide a consistent approach for
providers to have a way of stripping out such local policies before
publishing. But how do you distinguish between those that get
stripped out and those that get advertised.

Furthermore people in this group would say that that is really up to
the implementor and they can be responsible. (Dan holds this position)

HOWEVER, in this case this is also the issue of portability. A
provider that is using policies defined by another vendor that has
significance for the provider but not for the consumer would like to
understand how to handle this consistently. So for third party
policies one can imagine that a consistent way of stripping these out
would be useful.

So then does wsp:local (or whatever it's name is) have true, false,
provideronly ??????? Otherwise how do we distinguish between
advertise-as-a-feature Vs. provider-should-strip-before-publish?

Regards,
William