From: public-ws-policy-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-ws-policy-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Bijan Parsia
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 3:27 AM
To: public-ws-policy@w3.org
Subject: Action item 5? (Action item 2 from last week)

Hiya,

I'm having trouble correlating action items and numbers referenced.
But this is in response to:
	http://www.w3.org/2006/08/09-ws-policy-minutes.html#action02]

Which seems to be a continuation of:
	http://www.w3.org/2006/07/26-ws-policy-minutes.html#action14

Which stems from my message here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Jul/0031.html

(Does this still need to be moved to bugzilla?)

First I tracked down back in the minutes and realized that I had
gotten dropped from the telecon when this AI was assigned. I'd like
to point out that my *preferred* resolution to this AI is to drop the
section. So it's a little weird for me to do the writing :) I would
like to know who supports keeping this section, other than Prasad as
I derived from the minutes?

In my original email I proposed as a first draft alternative the
following text (slightly wordsmithed):

OPTION 1: """The goal of the Web Services Policy 1.5 - Framework is
to provide
mechanisms which enable Web services applications to specify
policy information. Specifically, this specification defines the
following:

	* A framework for domain specific assertions about the
prescribed
behavior of a Web Service.
	* A set of operators for combining and otherwise qualifying
domain
specific assertions into policies
	* An XML infoset for the concrete expression of such
policies."""

(Trying to minimally re-edit the section so it didn't give the
circular goal of producing the specs we produced :))

But the only part of this that is a *goal* is the first sentence.
(I.e., something that these particular specifications are designed to
meet against which the documents can be evaluated). A more robust
statement is:

OPTION 2: """A Web Service policy is a description of a variety of
requirements on the interaction with a Web Service. In a broad sense,
WSDL 2.0 allows for the expression of policies with regard to the
type and sequence of messages sent to and from a Web Service.
However, this leaves many aspects of Web Service interaction
undescribed, thus unspecified, such as whether and what form of
reliable messaging should be used. Particular assertions about a Web
Services may be combined in a variety of ways to form a policy. For
example, a Web Service might support a form of encryption, but only
in conjunction with a specific form of reliable messaging. Thus,
policy information consists of both simple statements about a Web
Service, and various logical combinations of those statements.

The goal of the Web Services Policy 1.5 - Framework is to support the
interoperable expression of a wide range of policies. Since the
subject matter of specific policy assertions cannot be exhaustively
characterized in advance, the Web Service Policy 1.5 - Framework
provides a mechanism for specifying classes of domain specific
assertions. The framework also provides logical operators for
combining and refining sets of domain specific assertions, as well as
an XML infoset for the concrete expression of policies. [Something
about how Attachment hooks this back to WSDL??]"""

Ether way, I need feedback since I don't think we need a goal
statement at all :) (And the goal statement seems to need the
inclusion of how we met the goal. It all feels a bit artificial to me.)

So I include Option 3: """""" (i.e., the empty string :))

Cheers,
Bijan.