From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Larry Masinter
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 3:34 PM
To: 'Yalcinalp, Umit'
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org; public-ws-media-types@w3.org
Subject: RE: WSD Issue 268 Closed

The fact that this is not a "recommendation" doesn't absolve you from
the responsibility of giving good advice, so I find the reasoning that
the document status being a Note means you don't have to pay attention
to comments somewhat specious.

"Users of this attribute information item are urged to use wild cards
(for example, "image/*") with care ..."

makes it sound like users are urged to use wild cards. I suggest
changing the sense, at least:

"Users of this attribute information item are urged to avoid using wild
cards (for example, "image/*") ..."

Similarly

"If the set of expected media types are known, a list of media types is
RECOMMENDED instead of wild cards..."

makes it sound like the use of wild cards might be recommended if the
set of expected media types is NOT known. Instead, I would recommend not
using xmime:expectedContentTypes at all if the set of expected content
types is not known.

Larry