RE: Some requirements

From: Savas Parastatidis <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:26:04 +0100
To: "Steve Graham" <sggraham@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "David Snelling" <d.snelling@fle.fujitsu.com>, "Jim Webber" <jim.webber@arjuna.com>, "Paul Watson" <Paul.Watson@newcastle.ac.uk>, <public-ws-desc-state@w3c.org>, <public-ws-desc-state-request@w3.org>, "Steve Tuecke" <tuecke@mcs.anl.gov>

> Why do you feel this is domain specific?  Use of attributes cuts
across
> many domains.  Is this any more domain specific than CORBA IDL
Attributes?

I am sorry. I didn't make myself clear. I didn't suggest that attributes
are domain specific but, rather, that the definition of an interface
with specific operations is, something that you suggested in your

WSDL should not include an interface with operations that services can
choose to implement. That's not what WSDL does. WSDL is used to describe
interfaces and not to impose one.

I see attributes as a useful addition to WSDL but not all features found
in OGSI's SDE are easily transferable. I just can't see how operations
that provide access to attributes can be specified by the WSDL
specification.

A WS-Management or WS-Introspection specification, for example, could
specify operations for accessing, quering attributes. These are
application specific.

.savas.