RE: Some requirements

From: Savas Parastatidis <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:22:18 +0100
To: <public-ws-desc-state@w3c.org>
Cc: "Jim Webber" <jim.webber@arjuna.com>, "Paul Watson" <Paul.Watson@newcastle.ac.uk>

All,

Few comments/questions...

> <requirements>
>
> User should be able to know what their permissions are on attributes
> before
> trying

Isn't permission (part of a security/policy infrastructure) orthogonal
to specifying an interface?

> Query across attributes (in one service): what query language?
>
> Ability to know (partial?) list of attributes at design time
>
> Ability to know type of attributes ahead of time

Since attributes are going to be part of an interface, wouldn't be a
requirement that ALL are known at design time? If attributes can be
added/removed at runtime, the interface changes. Type-safety becomes a
runtime issue. Personally, I like implementation-time type safety.

> Input/output messages that manipulate attributes can be validated
against
> WSDL
>
> Support for static attributes

What does static mean? Does it mean that you can specify the value of an
attribute within the WSDL that will always be the same? If so, then
ignore this.

> Ability to restrict access on a per attribute basis.

Again, I think this is part of a security/policy infrastructure. It's
similar to permitting/restricting access to a web service operation.

> Ability to restrict read vs. write access
>
> Attributes can be inherited through WSDL 1.2 inheritance
>
> Support metadata on attributes (creation date, type, description...)

Should "type" be part of the metadata or a first-class characteristic of
the attribute?

> Allow bulk retrieval of several attributes in one operation
>
> Attributes can be of any schema type (simple or complex)
>
> </requirements>

Apologies if my questions have already been discussed or don't make
sense.

--
Dr. Savas Parastatidis
Chief Software Architect, North-East Regional e-Science Centre