Re: WS-CDL

Hi John

The short answer to your question is that it can do both of the extreme
cases you mention.

Initially I expect it primarily to be used to provide a concise
unambigious description of interactions between multiple participants,
to ensure there is a common understanding of the protocol. This may
involve using an editor (we provide an Eclipse based editor but this is
not necessary) and some form of validation tool to ensure that the
syntax and basic semantics of the choreography are correct.

The next step would be for those organisations to implement their
responsibilities in terms of that choreography. This is where more
advanced tools may be used to help, although it is possible that an
organisation may wish to directly code an endpoint implementation from
the choreography description.

In terms of the pi4soa open source project, we can derive the endpoint
projections for each of the services involved in the choreography, and
using these descriptions generate a number of artefacts, including Java
code executable in Axis1 and J2EE, a limited export to WS-BPEL, UML and
BPMN. We also enable documentation to be generated using velocity
templates to product HTML.

The WS-CDL standard itself does not go beyond the global description of
the interactions, and does not define how the description may be used.

If you have any other requirements, we would be interested in hearing
them - you could log them as feature requests on the pi4soa.org website.

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards
Gary