Re: Formal semantics paper - from Marco Carbone et al

> This looks like a lot of work. i may be misreading, because i have
> only skimmed, but it looks as though the main theorem is a subject
> reduction-like theorem in which the subject reduction is simulation-
> style (ala Kobayashi's type systems) as opposed to a static subject
> reduction (ala Honda, et al's type systems). Have you seen,
> therefore, Kobayashi's 2006 types for concurrency paper (

Just to clarify, the paper has three main theorems:

1) Subject Reduction for the global calculus type system (session
types) i.e. when the system evolves it is still well typed (e.g. I
evolves to I' and I is well typed then also I' is well typed.

2) Subject Reduction for the end-point calculus (similar to point 1)

3) EPP Theorem, i.e.
	a) Type Preservation i.e. a well typed global description is
projected to a well typed global interaction.
	b) Completeness i.e. if a global interaction I evolves to I' then
its projection evolves to the "projection" of I' (EPP(I') )
	c) Soundness i.e. if a projection EPP ( I ) evolves to N then I can
evolve to I' and the projection of I' is "similar" to N

1) and 2) guarantee that working with typed programs is safe (you
never evolve to untyped i.e. unwanted things).

3) shows that given a global description (e.g. a WS-CDL
choreography), its end-point projection is good and respects what the
programmer wanted to specify in the choreography.

Hope this clarifies the key points of the paper.

Best,
Marco

P.S.
I didn't read the paper you linked but I believe it is related with
another of his works i.e. having CCS processes as types. Session
types are related to this but Kobayashi's are much more powerful and
lose.

> http://www.kb.ecei.tohoku.ac.jp/~koba/papers/concur2006-full.pdf)?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> --greg
>
> On 8/1/06, Steve Ross-Talbot <steve@pi4tech.com> wrote:
>
> Is at:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2006Aug/att-0000/
> workingNote.pdf
>
> Please read and comment as soon as possible.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve T
>

> --
> L.G. Meredith