From: Anders W. Tell [mailto:opensource@toolsmiths.se]
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 2:01 AM
To: public-ws-chor@w3.org
Cc: Burdett, David; steve@enigmatec.net; distobj@acm.org
Subject: Re: CDL Challenge

A comment from a legal perspective which for obvious reasons is
important for global ecommerce.

david.burdett@commerceone.com wrote:

>A few ... ;)
>
>The real question we need to answer is what should be the "primitives" in CDL. For example all of the following *could be*:
>1. A "one-way" fire & forget message
>2. A "request-response" where a message is sent and a response should be received
>3. A "one-way reliable message" where a message is sent and resent until an acknowledgement is received

<AWT>
(4)
I would like to add another primitive which is so importants that it is
mentioned in national, international LAW and in UN Recommendations 26
and 31, The *Acknowledge of Receipt* signal.
This primitives purpose is to provide recognition and evidence that the
reach-event has occured at indended addressee. With or without signature
it provide a degree of non-repudiation.

A sideeffect which is important for business automation purposes is that
it increases the probability that the sender and indended addresses has
the same information and is confident that they do. A technologist may
view it as a form of state-alignment.

This primitive is similar to 3 but not the same and it has a direct
relation to business and legal considerations.
</AWT>

>The disadvantage of having several primitives are primarily around: deciding which ones to include, knowing that we have included the ones we "need" to, and allowing additional primitives to be added over time.

<AWT>
The above primitive wont go away and change anytime soon since it
depends on LAW.

For US it is also part of the UNIFORM ELECTRONIC TRANSACTIONS ACT (1999)
</AWT>

Thanks
/anders