Re: New Issue on Conformance Statements in CDL

Tony Fletcher wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> The attached contribution makes the plea for an explicit conformance
> statement to be added to the WS-Choreography Language (CDL)
> specification. Without such an explicit statement whether an
> implementation conforms to a specification or not can be very much a
> matter of opinion and interpretation. Such a statement should make it
> very clear precisely what an ‘implementation’ has to be able to do,
> may optionally be able to do and shall not do to conform in some
> defined manner to the specification. For the CDL specification there
> are several different types of conformance that could be claimed and
> so it will certainly be worthwhile including a section on conformance.
>
> In my opinion a clear conformance (/compliance) statement should
> always be included in a specification whenever it is the intent that
> it shall be possible to claim conformance for some form of
> implementation or compliance of some other specification. It is common
> for specifications to include an explicit conformance statement
> section – refer for instance to the W3C Web Services Description
> Language (WSDL) Version 2.0 Part 1: Core Language W3C Working Draft 3
> August 2004, Section 8, Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.1 W3C
> Recommendation 04 February 2004 , Section 5 and the OASIS Business
> Transaction Protocol, section 12 to name but two from a very long list
> of potential examples.

mm1: Tony, for conformance, in several venues there can be levels of
conformance and result in conformance profiles. That could be handled
within or outside of the technical specification. A good reference is:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ioc. Thank you.