RE: choreography & orchestration must be defined in a context

Steve:

I was talking of WS-CDL as the output of the WS-CHOR working group, when it
becomes available. I have no idea if it has been named that way. I thought
that I had saw you recently using this term.

I am convinced that WS-CDL (as an output) is the right level upon which
Business Process Definition Language(s) can be built. Again, I wrote a paper
in the summer 2002 substantiating this claim.

The whole debate started around pi for workflow, business process, then
moved to business process versus orchestration, choreography, ... Then we
heard that pi makes choreography as a concept irrelevant...

Again my points are:
1) orchestration and choreography are complementary as the "what" is being
composed and "how" they are composed
2) orchestration and choreography languages (that I can refer occasionaly as
BPEL and WS-CDL) are different from business process definition languages
(BPDLs)
3) BPDL(s) should be layers on top of WS-CDL(s)
4) Protocols such as transaction or business transaction protocols should
also be layered on top of WS-CDL(s)
5) In order to do 3) and maybe 4) the current set of requirements, scope and
objectives of WS-CHOR working group are lacking IMHO 3 things (maybe more),
	a) the ability to express transformations along with the
	message definition (ideally transformation are expressed from the
	consumer point of view to reach the maximum level of decoupling)
	b) the ability to express simple routing rules between
	nodes, again to acheive a good level of decoupling
	c) the ability to express the ability to define domains
	of control to which a message can be sent. The domain may then
	implement special rules to route a message sent to the domain, to a
	particular node.

I view a), b) c) not as execution per say but as an "active" choreography.

I hope that helps clarify, I am sorry for the confusion.

Jean-Jacques
tel: 425-649-6584