RE: pi-calculus ...

>>Are we building a new language for pi-calculus or a language for WS
>>Choreography?
>>
>>If we're building a new language for pi-calculus we don't care if it
has
>>request/response. If we're building a language for WS Choreography we
>>should be using WSDL 1.2. Then the problem becomes, does the model
still
>>work? Judging by all the existing WSDL 1.2 MEPs it works quite nicely.

[JJ] As I said, I am not debating if this mapping can work, to me it is
almost automatic as long as all you are using is message exchanges
between agents (represented by roles), because this is what pi-calc is
about. There are 4 major concepts in pi-calc that I could count that are
of interest to us, the question is to me, do we adopt them as is (for
whatever reason, technical, marketing, ...) or do we need more, or do we
other concepts?

a) Activities (process, scope, port activity, terminate)
b) Operations (Sequence, Alternate, Restriction, Prefix, Replicate)
c) Port (Input, Output, Virtual Port)
d) Process (Process composition)

From this theory I see three possibilities to express a choreography:
1) process composition (two processes interacted one with another), WSCI
has mapped this approach first. This model works well in Multi-party
collaboration
2) use an abstract process (this specifies the message exchange from the
point of view of one participant). This is the approach of BPEL. This
model does not work well in complex multi-party collaborations since it
assumes that one role has the control.
3) a neutral view of the choreography, specifying the choreography of
any type and number of message exchange patterns between any number of
roles. This is the approach of BPSS.

I am completely convinced that all 3 views are compatible with the
pi-calc and almost isomorphic. It is just our interpretation of what we
think the pi-calc gives us that is different. I am also convinced that
1) is superior to 2). This leaves the choice between 1) and 3).

What I like about 3) is really that the notion of MEP is part of the
metamodel (BPSS has only a few MEP but the model would work with any
type of MEP). The other thing I like is that it offers a neutral view.
That is really useful for standard committees like RosettaNet, STAR,
OAGIS, and the several hundred others that need to define industry wide
choreographies. This view lands itself relatively well in an
architecture that requires "agreements" between partners, whether they
are statically specified or dynamically calculated as partners engage in
a business relationship.

I don't see all these characteristics in WSCI. Now don't get me wrong, I
am not suggesting to start or adopt BPSS. I am just pointing out some
benefits of the spec. BPSS was designed within an architecture with some
requirements. I believe that this group works in a relatively different
context.

Ultimately there should be a requirement that help us differentiate from
1) 2) or 3).

Jean-Jacques

577