I am not sure how best to handle this, either.

A MEP is really a mini-choregraphy, with its own state machine (see e.g.
http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part2/#soapsupmep).

IMO what you want is the ability to represent a step in the choreography
as an instance of a MEP (or possibly some other, more complex
sub-choreography). An example of this kind of nesting is in my
discussion of the travel agency user scenario.

The general pattern should be reusable, although the actual schema of
the message inputs and outputs vary.

There is a relevant recent discussion of MEPs in WSA:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2003Jun/0223.html

--Jon