From: Ugo Corda [mailto:UCorda@SeeBeyond.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 9:50 PM
To: Burdett, David; Assaf Arkin; public-ws-chor@w3.org
Subject: RE: Combining Policies (was RE: Partial executability/ determinis m
of a Chor description language

>But there are too many use cases where it's simply not-a-problem. It's
>not a problem to reach agreement, and it's not a problem to have an
>unreadable 32-page booklet listing all these rules and policies. So now
>the question is - since as you said the technology is already there -
>can we capitalize on that? If my bank already has a 32-page booklet with
>rules and regulations, can I just expose some of them as part of it's
>Web service definition?
<DB>You could expose it as part of your WSDL definition. However before it
could be used, someone else would have to write software that could
interpret the semantics of the definition so that it could make an
appropriate decision. Although this is possible, I don't see it happening
unless and until there is some standardization of the semantics around how
you describe the rules and regulations as the cost of developing the
software for all the different ways of describing the semantics would be
prohibitive.</DB>

The WSD group just started discussing how to integrate RDF into WSDL, and
ontologies support should follow. So there is already some standardization
work happening in this area. Of course, only time will tell how effective
these semantics technologies are.

Ugo