From: public-ws-chor-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-ws-chor-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Burdett, David
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 4:53 AM
To: Assaf Arkin; Burdett, David
Cc: Ricky Ho; Yaron Y. Goland; public-ws-chor@w3.org
Subject: RE: Combining Policies (was RE: Partial executability/
determinis m of a Chor description language

Assaf wrote ...

> <DB>People can always make the decision on which service (e.g. a bank
> account) to use because they can read. Computers find it much harder
> as they don't understand the semantics.</DB>

Probably not, but my computer can still make selections without having
to understand semantics. The proposal I made was to name things, so you
only need to recognize the names, and that a computer can easily do.

<DB2>OK, but who teaches the computer what the names mean and therefore
which one to chose. Unless the computer has some type of artificial
intelligence, then a human has to tell the computer what things mean and
we're back to square one - you still have to agree on what the names
mean.</DB2>

Not contradicting anything I'm saying. I could also make it a property
in a UDDI entry and do a search based on that property. If only I could
have something I could reference ;-)

<DB2>But who decides how these properties are recorded and what the
semantics of the properties are. Unless there is some standardization, you
won't get anywhere. The only other alternative is to us "natural language"
searching to identify what you are looking for which is what Google does so
well.</DB2>

David