RE: Grounding Choreographies (the atoms) - WAS Simple Choreograph y composition suggestion

Ugo

I think that it is *necessary* to layer our choreography specs so that you
have:
1. A spec for an "abstract" choreography definition that describes the
sequence and conditions in which messages are exchanged between roles, and
2. A spec for binding the abstract choreography definition to: physical
message formats and physical service interface definitions.

The reason for this is that you can have the same abstract choreography,
e.g. the buyer sending a PO and the seller sending a PO Response implemented
in different ways such as:
1. Different formats for the message, e.g. SOAP 1.1 vs 1.2, vs SOAPWA,
RosettaNet PO vs a UBL PO, etc,
2. Different service interfaces, which use different service/actions in the
WSDL to accept/generate SOAP messages

If we don't have these two layers then it means that whenever standards
evolve, e.g. SOAP 1.3 ;) or a new version of the RosettaNet PO, then the
Choreography definition will also *have* to change even though its semantics
have not.

However having this layering also means that you *could* do binding of the
choreography defintion to other protocols, e.g ebXML Messaging. So what I am
proposing though is that we do the abstract choreography spec and just the
SOAP/Web Service binding without necessarily stopping other groups from
doing alternative bindings if they want to.

Hope this answers your question.

David