Re: what is the use case for a choreography language.

These are certainly valid questions. They were discussed a bit at the
F2F, I think.

My assumption to date has been that a choreography description is a kind
of superset of WSDL. WSDL tells you how to interact with web services
individually. It tells you what messages the service produces and
consumes, in what order (MEPs), and (at the concrete level) how to
access the service.

WSDL says nothing about how you interact with multiple services, in
terms of ordering and sequencing. That's the purpose of choreography, or
at least one of the purposes.

So a participant in a choreography could use the description of the
choreography to determine how to play a role in it, much as a client
uses a WSDL description to know how to interact with a service.
"Determine" can have various meanings and I don't think we want to be
very precise about it. You could use the description to generate code or
to build a workflow that would interact with the choreography, sending
the right message(s) in the right order, and handling and reporting
errors. I could also think of more dynamic kinds of application that
adapt themselves to (for example) different partner's ideas of how a
P.O. should be submitted, but that's a bit harder to do, IMO.

We also discussed possibly having some kind of monitor application that
was driven off a choreography description and used the description to
validate that the mesage flows followed the description and didn't
violate any of its rules.

--Jon