Composing Choreographies (was: RE: Revised: Mission Statement

Here's my (belated) $0.02c ...

There are several different types of composition, for example ...
"Hierarchical" composition (although I'm not sure that "hierarchical" is the
best word to use) where one choreography is built on top of another in a
hierarchy. Consider the following example ...
a) A RM choreography defines how to do Reliable Messaging. This choreography
would define the sequence, timeouts, acknowledgements and retries required
to reliably deliver a single "message" between sender and receiver roles. It
could also have various states associated with each of the roles, such
sender:msgsent, receiver:msgreceived, etc.
b) A MEP that included signals as described by JJ and others. This could
define the sending of an initial message and also the signal messages
returned to say the original messages was processed OK (or not). Note that
each message and signal could be delivered using the RM choreography. This
would then lead to additional states for the sender and receiver such as
sender:msgOK and sender:msgnotOK, etc
c) A "business" choroegraphy such as that described by Martin or the ones I
have often described for placing an order. In this case each Message could
make use of the MEP choreography to define the additional signals associated
with the message which would in turn make use of the RM choreography to
deliver the messages. Note however that in this case you need to map the
"lower level" roles such as sender and receiver to the higher level business
roles. This type of choreography would also introduce its own additional
states.
d) You could also then combine "business" protocols in different ways. For
example by combining an Order choreography with a payment choreography. Or
combining an Invoice choreography with the same payment choreography. These
would also introduce new states.

The common thread in all these choreographies is the idea of exchanging
information which results in a changes of state of the roles involved. This
in turn means that a method of using state information at one level at a
higher level becomes important. For example a business choreography could
use the MsgNotOK state returned by a MEP to carry out some alternative
compensating choreography.

You might also be able to use the idea of state definitions to abstract out
the detail of how a choreography works. For example, if there were a set of
states that define the visible states associated with reliable messaging,
then exactly which Reliable Messaging specification was being followed
should not matter.

David