Re: Off topic but relevant

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Burdett, David wrote:

> Jon
>
> There's a whole bunch of things like "identification of choreography
> instance" that can usefully be defined just once and then used by everybody.
> I'd include in this the following additional information that needs to go in
> a (SOAP) message (there are probably more):
> 1. Message Id - a unique id for a message
> 2. RefToMessage Id - a way of identifying an earlier message to which this
> message relates - useful for identifying messages in error
> 3. Conversation Id - which is really a choreography instance id as it
> identifies a set of related messages
> 4. Creation Time - the time a message was initially created
> 5. Expiry Time - the time after which the recipient of a SOAP message should
> no longer process it.

Message Ids, and time information, although very useful may not be easy to
define in an absolute manner. A requirement to have globally unique MsgIds
is too restrictive to be acceptable, as some devices won't be able to
generate them (and it puts restriction on choreographies using such Ids).

> I've actually got a couple of specs that define the above as SOAP headers.
> Is anyone interested in taking them further ... to OASIS perhaps ... on a
> royalty free basis of course?

I would be interested to see them, why not involve XMLP as well?
Thanks,

--
Yves Lafon - W3C