RE: Internal processes and/or external choreographies (was RE: Ev ents and States ...

I've just read all of this rapidly expanding thread but wanted to really

I agree with Martin that we have:
1. External choreography definitions that imply a shared state machine
between multiple roles
2. Internal process definitions that define a process that is not shared and
is executed by one role, and
3. Glue that binds the internal end external together.

Now let's think about implementation for a moment as I think the way you
probably want to implement the internal and external is different ...

INTERNAL DEFINITIONS
These definitions can be executed much like a programming language where
there is an engine that decides once one step in the process is complete
what the next step should be and then invokes it, i.e. it can be a
turing-complete language.

EXTERNAL DEFINITIONS
These definitions are used to validate that the observable behavior is as
expected. For example, when a message arrives, it is checked that it is
valid to receive a message at this point in the choreography. There is no
engine that can execute the next step in the choreography, you can only flag
problems as they arise.

Bottom line, Internal Definitions can (should?) be used in an *active way*
to control a process, whereas External Definitions are used in a *passive
way* to check that the behavior of others beyond your control is correct.

As these are *so* different, do we think we can have one choreography
definition language that can be used for both?

I don't think so.

Thoughts?

David