Re: CR33: Just wondering - Does anyone actually need wsaw:anonymous in WSDL?

Katy,

I'll change the question slightly and answer it:
Does anyone need to be able to indicate statically (not at runtime) that
'anon' is required or 'prohibited'?

The answer is most definitely 'yes'.

As you mentioned there was a discussion on this at the Tokyo F2F. The
usefulness of this is not just for legacy apps and providing a run-time
exception is not an acceptable solution.

DavidH has already explained how it is useful to say 'anon' is required
because the service understands WSA but the transport is not capable of
anything but 'anon' connections.

An important and quite useful use case is when the req-res are separated
by a large amount of time and the service wants to make it very clear
that the response will always be sent over a separate connection. This
is useful in variety of applications the most talked about being
workflow. How does one describe such a req-res? One can use the WSDL
req-res operation and provide additional marker to say that 'anon' is
not allowed or provide two WSDL one-way operation with some way to
specify that they are correlated. I've been telling a lot of folks (and
so has WS-I, to a recent query from RosettaNet) that WSDL req-res
operation does not mean that the operation is "synchronous" -- which it
isn't. That is up to the binding and things like WS-A.

Currently, the wsa:Anonymous maker is the best way to describe a
"asynchornous" req-res operation. I don't particularly care how it is
specified. If a single wsa:Anonymous makes sense, so be it. If it makes
more sense to have three markers so as to best fit the way WS-Policy
works (so has to allow the markers to be used as WSDL markers as well as
policy, a la wsa:UsingAddressing), then lets do that. But I'm certainly
opposed to removing this marker without providing a way to specify the
same information statically.

-Anish