Re: Who knows what from where?

I completely agree that a client ought only to use special features that
its tooling supports, so in particular don't use the RM anon URI if you
don't support RM.  That's fine.  My concern here is about throwing
everything that might use a "backchannel" into one "backchannel" pot.

If I advertise WSASupported or WSASupportedUsingBackchannel and nothing
else, this means that you can send me a request as a SOAP request
message and I can (or only can) send you back a response in the SOAP
response.

As I understand it, if I advertise WSAS or WSASUB /and/ I advertise "I
support RM", I'm saying that I can handle the standard anon /and/ I'm
saying that I support the RM anon with its behavior of using /later/
SOAP responses.  This is clearly not an obvious consequence, and I agree
it would need to be mentioned in the RM spec.  Conversely, an
implementation doesn't have the option of just supporting one; it will
always have to support both.  In the case of RM, this probably isn't a
burden, but that's not a trivial result either. It needs to be checked.

If some later spec, call it WS-FOO, wants to make use of the backchannel
in yet another way, then it seems reasonable that advertising support
for WS-FOO and advertising WSAS or WSASUB means supporting WS-FOO's use
of backchannel.  If you support both WS-FOO and RM, backchannel support
is an all-or-nothing deal.  I can't say (without defining more
assertions) "I can do plain vanilla anon, and RM's anon, but not
WS-FOO's variant", or any of the other six possibilities in the middle.

Granted, it seems reasonable that they wouldn't interfere with each
other and that if you can do plain anon you can also do the others, but
that's just something that seems reasonable.  It would need to be
checked.  It doesn't seem like the kind of assumption one would make
without a compelling reason, and there is none here.  Anything you can
do with a backchannel marker you can also do just by referring to
address URI directly.

If we can say specifically "I allow WSA anon", "I allow WS-RM anon" and
"I allow WS-FOO's magic URI" as separate statements, then we know that
the server can always say clearly and simply what works.  This seems
particularly useful in cases where combining two options is possible but
more work than some implementations will want to do.