Re: Who knows what from where?

It wasn't rhetorical.  The point is not that the information can't be
provided, but that there is one more piece to provide, and thus one more
piece to get wrong.  In this case, the RM spec has to explain what
"backchannel" means to it.

I'm particularly leery because "everyone knows" what backchannel means.
The odds of everyone actually "knowing" the same thing decrease
exponentially with the number of people involved.

I'm trying to probe here exactly what this extra moving part is buying
us.  AFAICT we can describe the exact same behavior along with similar
behavior in other situations purely syntactically, without resorting to
a concept of "backchannel".

All problems in computing are solved by an extra level of indirection --
except the problem of too many levels of indirection.