Re: An Example Use of RM's MakeConnection

On Oct 13, 2006, at 11:06 AM, David Hull wrote:

> IIUC the interaction you're proposing is:
> Client sends server GetQuote with [reply endpoint] anon.
> Server sends back a CreateSequence, to anonymous, correlated as a
> reply, and also correlated as InitReliable
> Client sends CreateSequenceResponse to server (one-way)
> Client sends MakeConnection to server
> Server sends back GetQuoteResponse, to anonymous, correlated as a
> reply.
> Is this correct, and if so, how would one advertise this in WSDL?
> Particularly, is it an in-out operation, or some other operation?

Looks about right. I guess you'd advertise it in the WSDL as a normal
in-out with some kind of policy to make it clear that RM is
(potentially) active. I think the same approach would be taken
regardless of whether the message flow is the one above or below.

> For reference, Dug's original proposal, IIUC, was
> Client sends server GetQuote with [reply endpoint] an instance of
> the RM anon template
> Server sends back CreateSequence, to the RM anon address, not
> correlated in any particular way.

Incidentally, related to the above, if the CreateSequence goes to the
[reply endpoint] doesn't that make it a reply ? If so we require a
[relationship] according to the rules in core section 3.2 and the two
flows will share the characteristic you are concerned about below.

> Client sends CreateSequenceResponse to server (one-way)
> Client sends MakeConnection to server
> Server sends back GetQuoteResponse, to the RM anon address,
> correlated as a reply.
> It does seem like a good idea to have (2) above correlated as
> InitReliable.  It doesn't seem like a good idea to correlate it as
> a reply, particularly if this is only being done to satisfy the
> rules in core section 3.
>
> It's a bit unexpected that a single request message would be liable
> to produce two separate messages with completely different content,
> both correlated as replies, one of interest to the application and
> one not.  Quite possibly this can be made to square with the specs
> (though it's worrisome that the first attempt failed), but it seems
> like swimming upstream, particularly since a simple alternative is
> available:  A GetQuote message produces (barring error) a single
> message correlated as a reply, that being a GetQuoteResponse.
> Other messages also happen, but they are marked differently.
>
> This may not matter much if everything in the system is RM-aware.
> The RM layer will have to sort through retried replies, for
> example, which will all be correlated as replies, and it will also
> have to eat the CreateSequence message in any case.  I'm concerned,
> though, that any module that knows WSA but not RM would get
> confused by having both CreateSequence and GetQuoteResponse
> correlated as replies.

Any module that doesn't know RM would be thoroughly confused by the
CreateSequence message in either case.

Marc.