Re: SOAP 1.1 One-way HTTP Binding doc

David Orchard wrote:

>Soap-Request-optional-soap-response vs
>soap-request-optional-protocol-response?
>SOAP Request-optional-response vs SOAP
>request-optional-protocol-response?
>
>I don't see why we need to distinguish between a SOAP response with 200
>vs with 202.
>
>Another way of looking at this is there are 2 simultaneous and
>orthogonal changes going on:
>1) adding 202 as a valid status code for the soap 1.1 http binding for
>request-response.
>2) adding a one-way that allows for no soap response that uses 202 as
>the status code.

These don't look orthogonal to me.  Orthogonal would be allowing for
empty body independently of allowing for 202 (all four options allowed),
having empty/non-empty mean one thing and 200/202 mean something
completely separate.

We've been pretty clear for a while that empty 202 means "ack".  I'm
hearing that non-empty 202 is meant for things like WS-RX acks, but I'm
not sure this is nailed down.  There seems to be some possibility that a
202 with a SOAP envelope could also be a real response.

If 202 can be a real response, then one would have to use something
besides 202 to figure out what's really going on (e.g., whether the
message consists only of WS-RX headers and similar).  In this case 202
isn't really carrying any information and why bother allowing for it?
On the other hand, if 202 means something in particular, then what
exactly does it mean?

As far as I can tell, the value in non-empty 202 is telling the SOAP
stack "Hey, this is just infrastructure stuff.  Don't pass it along to
the application."  We can't say that here, but we could (probably) say
it elsewhere.