Re: old :o) Issue: include wsaw:Action in the EPR reference metadata

Marc
You are absolutely right of course....and yet it seemed so obvious this
morning!   I'll remember not to raise issues prior to sufficient caffeine
intake in the morning in future.
Thanks
Katy

Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM
24/01/2006 14:11

Katy Warr/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
public-ws-addressing@w3.org
Subject
Re: New Issue: include wsaw:Action in the EPR reference metadata

[action] is a per-operation kind of thing whereas an EPR references
an endpoint that potentially supports multiple operations. I'm not
sure it makes sense to specify [action] on a per-endpoint basis ?

An alternative would be to make [action] optional or to define a
standard "process message" default value for [action] but we've
already discussed and rejected those alternatives.

Marc.

On Jan 24, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Katy Warr wrote:

> Issue:
>
> Currently, it is not possible to target an EPR in conformance with
> the WS-A spec unless the client has access to the target WSDL, or
> the target WSDL is embedded within the target EPR.
>
> This is because the reference WSDL metadata does not provide a
> mechanism to specify any explicitly defined wsaw:action.   In order
> to generate the mandatory [action] MAP, the client requires this
> information.  Text from the 4.2.1 Explicit action section of the spec:
>
> WS-Addressing defines a global attribute, wsaw:Action, that may be
> used to explicitly define the value of the [action] property for
> messages in a WSDL description. The type of the attribute is
> xs:anyURI and it is used as an extension on the WSDL input, output
> and fault elements. A SOAP binding can specify SOAPAction values
> for the input messages of operations. In the absence of a
> wsaw:Action attribute on a WSDL input element where a SOAPAction
> value is specified, the value of the [action] property for the
> input message is the value of the SOAPAction specified. Web
> Services Addressing 1.0 - SOAP Binding[WS-Addressing-SOAP]
> specifies restrictions on the relationship between the values of
> [action] and SOAPAction for SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2.
>
> Proposed resolution:
>
> Please could we extend the section on Referencing metadata from an
> EPR to include a marker for explicitly defined wsaw:Action?  This
> could equate to the wsaw:Action or the SOAPAction - as described
> above.  Here is the relevant  text from the WSDL spec,  with some
> suggested changes in bold:
>
> Referencing WSDL Metadata from an EPR
>
> The WSDL binding of Web Services Addressing introduces the
> following element and attribute information items for referencing
> WSDL metadata from an EPRs metadata section:
>
> wsaw:InterfaceName
> A QName identifying a description of the sequences of messages that
> a service sends and/or receives. This corresponds to a WSDL 2.0
> interface or, for backwards compatibility, a WSDL 1.1 port type.
> When this element is included in an EPR, the EPR is considered to
> be specific to the interface or port type it identifies.
> wsaw:ServiceName
> A QName that identifies the set of endpoints at which a particular
> Web service is deployed. The set of endpoints is represented by a
> service in WSDL 2.0 or, for backwards compatibility, a WSDL 1.1
> service.
>
> wsaw:ServiceName/@EndpointName
> An NCName that identifies one endpoint amongst the set identified
> by by the service name above. An endpoint is represented by an
> endpoint in WSDL 2.0 or, for backwards compatibility, a port in
> WSDL 1.1. When this attribute is specified, the EPR is considered
> to be specific to the endpoint or port it identifies.
>
> The element information items defined above are used in an EPRs
> metadata section. The following shows an example endpoint
> [...]

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.