Re: Visitors Guide to Vancouver

David Orchard wrote:

> Two shots, nice!
>

> Canadians generally do not consider themselves American, no more than
> Massachusetts or Californian residents pride themselves on being
> Alabamans or Texans.  And no more than Argentinian's or Brazillians
> consider themselves "American" because they live in South America.
> Different political entities and all that.
>

> One tip that I can readily offer is that if you would like to "go
> native" in Canada, you can try a slightly different saying of words
> that contain "out", starting with "out and about".  It sounds almost
> like "oot", as in "oot and aboot".

I grew up in Detroit, which is a suburb of Windsor Ontario Canada.

Since I am a native US american, I feel I should give my percieved
pronounciation of "out and about" in Canadian

it is more like "ouoot" and "abouut", ( actually halfway between that
and what Dave suggests).

They also pronunce schedule as "shedule", just like our British pals.

Tom Rutt

>   Another trick is to periodically end sentences with "eh".  One thing
> not to do, is to wear a backpack with a big Canadian flag.  Apparently
> that's mandatory gear for Americans traveling to Europe these days.
> But people can always tell the difference, because Canadians of course
> have a small Canadian flag on their back pack.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Dave

Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133