 From: public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org on behalf of Tom Rutt
 Sent: Mon 07/02/2005 21:26
 To: Savas Parastatidis
 Cc: Jonathan Marsh; public-ws-addressing@w3.org
 Subject: Re: Thoughts on TAG issue EndpointsRef47

 Savas Parastatidis wrote:
 I have a question:

 Given an epr, how does the sending system determine the http address to
 use to
 send the http post request, if all it has is a logical urn for the
 epr:address element?

 this is not discussed in the spec.

 >Hi Tom,
 >

 >>If what Gudge is describing is required, we might consider a multiple
 >>Protocol profile structure
 >>for the "EPR".   This is what IONA was getting at.  We could represent
 >>all the variant
 >>transport addresses required in the EPR.
 >>
 >>Otherwise I am not at all clear on how the "logical" uri gets mapped

 >>the various
 >>transport addresses required for the variants desired.
 >>

 >There may not be a need to map the "logical" URI to a specific transport
 >address. Imagine a service with a logical address
 >'urn:chocolates:service' which sells chocolates. You want to buy a
 >chocolate from a peer-to-peer network of services without caring about
 >the actual endpoint of the service that will serve you.
 >
 ><soap:Envelope>
 >  <soap:Header>
 >    <wsa:To>urn:chocolates:service</wsa:To>
 >  </soap:Header>
 >  <soap:Body>
 >    <m:OrderForm>
 >      <m:noChocolateBars>10</m:noChocolateBars>
 >      <m:maxAmmountPerChocolateBar>1000</m:maxAmmountPerChocolateBar>
 >    </m:OrderForm>
 >  </soap:Body>
 ></soap:Envelope>
 >
 >All you have to do is just give this message to the P2P network which
 >will know how to do deal with it. No need to go from a logical to a
 >transport-specific address for this service. But even if you had to,
 >there is a use case for using logical addresses as indexes in registries
 >where transport-specific endpoints can be found at runtime ("give me all
 >the transport endpoints of the urn:chocolates:service service").

 How do you get interoperability unless this "registry" mechanism is
 defined in the spec?

 How does the client determine the http addres (in the soap http post
 binding case) to
 send the request to for that epr?

 Tom Rutt

 >Regards,
 >.savas.

 Tom Rutt        email: tom@coastin.com; trutt@us.fujitsu.com
 Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133