Re: What to do with WoT Profiles 1.0

Hi Ben and Luca,

I have tried to catch up but there is simply too much to read through. I am pasting some points raised, along with some other points and answering them below. I think such discussions should be done in a more structured fashion.

  *   In the previous calls, there was preliminary consensus on not using profile as a patch mechanism for mechanisms that we cannot describe now in the TD. Also, along the same lines, no profile should bring implicit mechanisms (sometimes referred to as extending the td spec but I think this is not a correct wording).
  *   Any mention of ambiguity means a lack of expressiveness in the TD spec, thus should be solved there first. The TD TF is aware that there are a lot of things to do and we are working on structuring the work and prioritizing work items.  Metaoperations is a can of worms and we will handle that in this charter. Any suggestions on that would be nice. Along with manageable actions.

Ben wrote
What would be helpful would be some real life testing of generic Consumers (does one actually exist?) against Things which implement profiles, to provide evidence of reduced functionality compared with a Thing using binding templates.

We don’t say a generic consumer but a consumer implemented in a generic way. node-wot and many other implementations are like that. It is just architecturally annoying to implement another stack to handle profiles that add their own stuff. I feel that this point is just never understood by the profile TF or I feel it is kept getting ignored.

Ben wrote
As far as I can tell, the current profiles only add functionality for conformant Consumers, they don't take functionality away for non-conformant Consumers.

We have presented the case against this with node-wot many times.

Ben wrote:
We are at a very late stage in WoT Profiles 1.0 to make such a drastic change to how they work and introduce completely new ontologies, effectively rendering all existing implementations obsolete.

Other than WebThings, which was sort of profile compliant before the profile spec anyways, the example implementation from Oracle and the new one I have heard from Luca, there are no other implementations. WebThings implementations should be describable in TD 2.0 and there should be no need to change it. No implementation should be required to change to fit WoT in general, at least for Things.

Ben and Luca wrote:

Luca: That's the idea. I'm starting from the concern of people having TD
consumers that would get very confused by profiles.

Ben: Is there any evidence this actually happens in practice, or is it just a theoretical concern?

Yes, there has been the case in Siemens with early adopters. I can provide more details in a meeting. Mizushima-san also expressed similar concerns in this week’s call.

There are many open points in WoT and we should work on resolving them. Hope to see you in one of the next WG calls.

Best,
Ege