W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-wg@w3.org > February 2020

[wot-discovery] minutes - 17 February 2020

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 09:11:49 +0900
Message-ID: <871rqjh6ey.wl-ashimura@w3.org>
To: public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2020/02/17-wot-discovery-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking the minutes, Zoltan!

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                             WoT Discovery

17 Feb 2020

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/WG_WoT_Discovery_WebConf#17_Feb_2020

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Christian_Glomb,
          Christopher_Ambler, Michael_Koster, Tomoaki_Mizushima,
          Zoltan_Kis, Kunihiko_Toumura

   Regrets

   Chair
          McCool

   Scribe
          zkis, kaz

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Inviting Christopher
         2. [5]Wiki and GitHub repo
         3. [6]Last meeting minutes
         4. [7]WoT security issue 160
         5. [8]DID review
         6. [9]Use cases
         7. [10]Plans for next meeting
     * [11]Summary of Action Items
     * [12]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

Inviting Christopher

   <kaz> Kaz: we invite Christopher today again. right?

   <kaz> McCool: yes

   <kaz> scribenick: zkis

Wiki and GitHub repo

   McCool: still setting up the github repo
   ... in the Discovery TF wiki there were prior discussion on
   discovery, we need to incorporate it somehow

   <kaz> [13]Discovery TF wiki

     [13] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Discovery_TF

   McCool: created an issue under WoT Security

Last meeting minutes

   <kaz> [14]Feb-10 minutes

     [14] https://www.w3.org/2020/02/10-wot-discovery-minutes.html

   <kaz> McCool: had further discussion about the publication
   schedule during the main call

   <kaz> ... we'll update the WoT wiki for the publication
   schedule for all the deliverables

   McCool: there was an action to create a revised discovery work
   schedule in the main WoT wiki page

   <kaz> ACTION: kaz to add a note on the publication schedule to
   the Feb-10 minutes

   McCool: past minutes approved

WoT security issue 160

   [15]https://github.com/w3c/wot-security/issues/160

     [15] https://github.com/w3c/wot-security/issues/160

   <kaz> McCool: Scripting doesn't have a directory

   <kaz> Zoltan: actually scripting does support directories

   McCool: the proposal was to have discovery only via directories
   ... and Scripting using out of band authentication
   ... maybe consider another API for discovery

   Zoltan: there are 2 issue here, architectural and scripting. I
   think the latter is not well argumented yet.

   McCool: OK, it needs more discussion

DID review

   McCool: there was discussion in the Security call on
   decentralized identifiers
   ... there is related WG work
   ... and also some work on discovery as well
   ... will have a presentation about DID; check the security
   minutes from today

   <kaz> [16]FYI, Feb-17 WoT Security minutes

     [16] https://www.w3.org/2020/02/17-wot-sec-minutes.html#item02

   McCool presenting DID shortly

   McCool: including metadata about service endpoints, that looks
   much like a TD
   ... so should we resolve DIDs with TDs
   ... one of the ways making them unique is via blockchain, in
   which we might have TDs

   <kaz> [17]Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) v1.0

     [17] https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/WD-did-core-20191209/

   McCool: the DID group has not specifically been looking into
   IoT devices, so proposed a joint call
   ... will discuss timing in the WoT WG call
   ... one question is whether we need to check security schemes
   vs DID
   ... maybe a separate thing from Discovery
   ... but other opinions are welcome
   ... next, brainstorming about use cases

Use cases

   McCool: collect short use cases
   ... in a new uses-cases readme md file

   [18]Use Cases

     [18] https://github.com/w3c/wot-discovery/blob/master/USE-CASES/README.md

   McCool starts recording use cases

   Zoltan: Provisioning/onboarding discovery

   McCool: that has multiple use cases
   ... one is discovering unowned devices in OCF

   Christian: have a device and find out what can I do with it, or
   what I cannot do because lack of authentication

   McCool: that is, peer to peer use case

   McCool deduced another use case, Plant Automation

   Christian: also, discover what services are using the devices
   (reverse lookup)
   ... but mostly what I can do with the whole installation, on a
   higher level

   McCool: adding Smart City services
   ... also, Visitor, Citizen and Remote access use cases

   <inserted> scribenick: kaz

   McCool: any other use cases on smart city?

   (none)

   McCool: (creates another entry for "cloud services")
   ... I may want to know what devices are accessible from a
   certain cloud service.
   ... any additional thoughts for use cases?

   Zoltan: we can keep it open and add more later

   McCool: sure

   <inserted> scribenick: zkis

   McCool: we could also ask Michael Lagally to add some
   ... like Database of Devices
   ... discovery of historical data from a device

   Christopher: a couple of smart home use cases
   ... onboarding, ownership, then configuring ACLs for different
   roles (visitors, etc)
   ... there are use cases when operator has access but
   beneficiary doesn't
   ... also, device to device and proxy roles and discovery ACL
   configuration

   McCool: also, adding hubs, bridges
   ... including specific bridges like Zigbee, OCF etc
   ... please continue adding use cases, and later we will
   categorize
   ... also, curate them later, using templates etc
   ... in order to be able to merge into Architecture
   ... also include those use cases which are debatable that
   belong to Discovery
   ... or make PRs and create issues

Plans for next meeting

   McCool: first figuring out use cases, scope, etc
   ... then, make proposals
   ... that may also be conflicting

   Christian: which proposals are already on table?

   McCool: in the main WoT repository, proposals folder

   <McCool>
   [19]https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/proposals/wot-discov
   ery.md

     [19] https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/proposals/wot-discovery.md

   McCool: there are a lot of things to discuss, but it's a good
   start
   ... counterproposals are welcome, but should be aware of
   existing background
   ... AOB?

   <inserted> (none)

   McCool: For next weeks agenda, please submit proposals by email

   adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: kaz to add a note on the publication schedule to
   the Feb-10 minutes

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version 1.154 ([21]CVS log)
    $Date: 2020/02/25 00:10:25 $

     [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Tuesday, 25 February 2020 00:11:57 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Tuesday, 25 February 2020 00:11:58 UTC