W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-wg@w3.org > February 2020

[wot-marketing] minutes - 12 February 2020

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 12:35:11 +0900
Message-ID: <877e0gmx3k.wl-ashimura@w3.org>
To: public-wot-ig@w3.org, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2020/02/12-wot-marketing-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking the minutes, Michael McCool!

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                             WoT-Marketing

12 Feb 2020

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Daniel_Peintner,
          David_Ezell, Ege_Korkan, Kunihiko_Toumura,
          Michael_Lagally, Michael_McCool, Tomoaki_Mizushima

   Regrets
          Alan_Bird

   Chair
          Sebastian

   Scribe
          McCool

Contents

     * [2]Topics
         1. [3]Previous minutes
         2. [4]Web page status
         3. [5]Press release and testimonials
         4. [6]Twitter account
         5. [7]Publications
         6. [8]Wikipedia
         7. [9]All other business?
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     * [11]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <kaz> scribenick: McCool

   <sebastian>
   [12]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Marketing_WebConf#Agenda

     [12] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Marketing_WebConf#Agenda

Previous minutes

   Sebastian: any objections to publishing minutes from 6 Feb
   2020?

   <sebastian>
   [13]https://www.w3.org/2020/02/06-wot-marketing-minutes.html

     [13] https://www.w3.org/2020/02/06-wot-marketing-minutes.html

   Sebastian: also added "building iot" talk to main event log
   ... no objections, making minutes public

Web page status

   Sebastian: created PR for some updates; and there is a second
   one
   ... other PR is another entry for an implementation
   ... for the node-RED node generator
   ... links to both node-RED and nodegen sites
   ... any objections to merge?
   ... none; merging

   Daniel: note there may be a delay until github updates the web
   page after updates like this

   Sebastian: also adding PR to add some content for a short
   introduction about what WoT is
   ... principles and technology building blocks
   ... but in a very short form
   ... this is just a starting point
   ... needs to be as simple as possible
   ... it could also use some figures
   ... and should also add links to specs
   ... and other documents

   McCool: could also take diagrams from
   [14]https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/PRESENTATIONS/2020-0
   2-WoT-Status.pptx

     [14] https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/PRESENTATIONS/2020-02-WoT-Status.pptx

   Lagally: to confirm we won't "publish" until we discuss in main
   call, right?

   Sebastian: right; but the marketing repo will have the draft

   Lagally: ok, just confirming
   ... I also think we need some use cases...

   Sebastian: can you make a PR?

   McCool: I suggest we at least take the use case overview
   diagram

   Lagally: we need to give people an idea of where it can be used

   Sebastian: yes

   McCool: I'd like to suggest for use cases that we just need a
   few bullet points of some applications

   Sebastian: ok to merge and work on it?

   Lagally: if I'm adding a couple of bullet points, let's keep it
   open, I can add as review comments

   Sebastian: ok

   <sebastian> [15]https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/pull/22

     [15] https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/pull/22

   Daniel: integrate twitter feed from w3c; but we discussed
   having a dedicated WoT twitter feed

   <ege> [16]https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/issues/17

     [16] https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/issues/17

   Kaz: got an action item last week to ask CSS about their
   experience with twitter, and now am asking them

   <kaz> (fyi, Kaz is asking the JSON-LD guys about their
   experience on wikipedia article as well)

   Sebastian: has anyone thought further about the slide set?
   ... some people wanted to look at alternative approaches
   ... I think we should think about presentations for each
   context
   ... the status presentation I mentioned above should maybe be
   moved over
   ... idea of the getting started pres is that we should perhaps
   turn it into a video
   ... I think we should set the context using a use case?
   ... but don't necessarily want to tie to industry context

   McCool: ok, but we have to be careful to establish its use in a
   professional context (eg not hobbyists, etc)

   Kaz: regarding video, etc. should probably talk with marcomm
   ... regarding content, I think the slides are good
   ... but I'm wondering if a web-comic on the page itself rather
   than a link to powerpoint?

   Sebastian: my thought is that would be one main page?

   Kaz: we could add a column for a web-comic on the left side or
   the right side of the page

   McCool: I'm thinking comic can show the high-level developer
   journey, but should link at each stage to more detailed
   tutorials for each step
   ... and maybe more explicitly structure around developer
   journey

   Kaz: yes, that's a possible structure

   <scribe> ACTION: McCool to look into existing materials for
   developer journey jennifer mentioned the playstation tutorials

   McCool: let me create a PR for a "journey.md" file to capture
   this

   Kaz: need to capture references like our expected wikipedia
   article for the beginners page

Press release and testimonials

   Sebastian: have good news, got statement from Seimens
   ... will share the text with you, but don't want to publish it
   publically for now

   Lagally: working on testimonial

   Sebastian: testimonial from Japan would also be useful

   Kaz: Japanese Members are working on that
   ... we can ask Toumura-san from Hitachi and Mizushima-san from
   IRI about their status for today

   Sebastian: would also be good to have mozilla

   McCool: alan bird is talking to mozilla; I will follow up
   ... or rather, will be talking to wendy to figure out a
   strategy

   Kaz: I will talk to them as well to see what we can do
   ... is it ok to send the Siemens message to the WoT WG Member's
   list?
   ... and then will remove the copied text from the minutes

   Sebastian: ok

Twitter account

   Sebastian: already did this

   <inserted> (kaz is also asking the CSS guys about their twitter
   account)

Publications

   Sebastian: I was asked to make a blog post...
   ... also submit proposals to present at conferences, etc.

   McCool: we need both volunteers to create content and places to
   publish them

   Sebastian: also, does not have to be in english

   McCool: we should also capture links to all publications
   somewhere, say in a "publications.md" file

   Sebastian: any other ideas? venues, places we can ask?

   McCool: I assume we are looking for places that will invite us,
   and get them to invite us
   ... maybe we can make a list of places where we can post

   Ege: we could post under Medium, for example
   ... and then it's just a matter of getting developers to read
   it and share it

   Sebastian: also a lot of maker-scene things we can publish in

   Ege: like instructables, etc?

   McCool: we should be careful about maker places; don't want to
   be seen as just for hobbyists, etc.
   ... but I like the Medium idea

   Sebastian: youtube might also be a possibility

   McCool: videos have two problems; hard to index/search, hard to
   skim, cut code from, etc.
   ... so I think videos should be paired with written text

Wikipedia

   Sebastian: still waiting for alan's input?

   Kaz: also talking still to json-ld guys about their experience

All other business?

   Sebastian: anything else?

   adjourn

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: McCool to look into existing materials for
   developer journey jennifer mentioned the playstation tutorials

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    David Booth's [17]scribe.perl version 1.154 ([18]CVS log)
    $Date: 2020/02/17 08:21:38 $

     [17] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [18] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Friday, 21 February 2020 03:35:18 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 21 February 2020 03:35:20 UTC