Re: Decoupling between Link and its mediatype, and inputData/outputData

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:25:01 +0100
Cc: Maxime Lefrançois <maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr>, "public-wot-wg@w3.org" <public-wot-wg@w3.org>
To: "Charpenay, Victor" <victor.charpenay@siemens.com>

> On 25 Sep 2017, at 09:38, Charpenay, Victor <victor.charpenay@siemens.com> wrote:
>

> (By the way, Dave, the first choice you presented has the drawback that non-standard extensions, such as custom HTTP header fields, could not be declared in a TD.)

A given standard could allow for that and we could then provide a means for their declaration in the TD as metadata for use with that standard. This is very much simpler than having a fully general declarative machine interpretable description of most standards.

I don’t see how a fully general declarative approach can be feasible. Individual standards are sufficiently complex that recasting them as a machine interpretable declarative representation is really tough. Finding a more general declarative representation that covers a broad range of standards will be even tougher.

To recap, my recommendation is that the communications metadata identify the standard used to communicate with a thing and any associated metadata.

W3C champion for the Web of things & W3C Data Activity Lead