W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-wg@w3.org > November 2017

[wot-ig/wg] minutes - 15 November 2017

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:31:30 +0900
Message-ID: <CAJ8iq9WnDr0fSCpuGuRWFp9pwPsybcewQHi8tqNXpUG+WHg1fg@mail.gmail.com>
To: Public Web of Things IG <public-wot-ig@w3.org>, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2017/11/15-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking these minutes, Michael Koster!

Kazuyuki

---

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                               WoT IG/WG

15 Nov 2017

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Agenda

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Kunihiko_Touura,
          Michael_Lagally, Taki_Kamiya, Michael_Koster,
          Sebastian_Kaebisch, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Toru_Kawaguchi,
          Kazuo_Kajimoto, Masato_Ohura, Keiichi_Tokuyama

   Regrets
   Chair
          McCool

   Scribe
          mjkoster

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]welcome Michael Lagally
         2. [5]ietf100 presentation on WoT and semantic
            interoperability
         3. [6]publication plan
         4. [7]TPAC wrap up
         5. [8]reports from Task Forces
         6. [9]collaboration
         7. [10]TD call this Friday
         8. [11]collaboration (revisited)
         9. [12]thanks to Fujitsu for PlugFest preparation
            logistics
     * [13]Summary of Action Items
     * [14]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

welcome Michael Lagally

   <mlagally> I have audio issues - mlagally is fine

   <mlagally> thanks for welcome - I'll introduce myself later

ietf100 presentation on WoT and semantic interoperability

   <kaz> [15]McCool's slides

     [15] https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/PRESENTATIONS/IoT,
Semantic Interop, and Voice Control - McCool.pdf

publication plan

   <kaz> scribenick: kaz

   mccool: discussed the plan during TPAC
   ... what about binding?

   mjkoster: document expected by the end of year

   mjkoster: have problem with editing wiki

   <kaz> [16]publication plan (slide 8)

     [16] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/wot-f2f/slides/2017_F2F-Burlingame-Next.pdf

   kaz: put the slides on publication plan above
   ... slide 8 of the pdf

   mccool: ok
   ... (goes through the slides)

TPAC wrap up

   <kaz> scribenick: mjkoster

   <kaz> [17]draft compiled minutes from TPAC meetings

     [17] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html

   mccool: archive presentations and posters

   kaz: we can use the github for that purpose, or we can use the
   W3C official server for that purpose as well (the same
   directory as the minutes file) send to Kaz for archiving

   mccool: posters are archived with thumbnail images
   ... should rename presentations with prefix and ordering
   ... please create issues in the issue tracker to capture
   feedback from the meeting

   <kaz> [18]PlugFest posters

     [18] https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/plugfest/2017-burlingame/Posters

   mccool: on the appropriate repo

reports from Task Forces

   <kaz> [19]draft minutes

     [19] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html

   sebastian: no news since last week
   ... we used the new TD structure with observe flag and
   input/output data construct

   <kaz> [20]TDs for PlugFest in Burlingame

     [20] https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/plugfest/2017-burlingame/TDs

   sebastian: but not many are using the new features
   ... at the breakout session we had some discussion about
   improvements
   ... data type definitions
   ... also discussed the stability flag which was in a previous
   TD
   ... also discussed hierarchy, grouping structure

   <kaz> [21]TD discussion on Day 1

     [21] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html#nov6-item08

   <kaz> [22]Hierarchies in TD

     [22] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html#nov7-item05

   sebastian: also discussed integration of protocol bindings
   ... good input for planning the next few weeks work

   mccool: included new features in TD but it was not
   automatically consumed

   sebastian: there was also some focus on proxies
   ... a new big topic is the simple JSON TD representation
   ... the simple JSON could be a default
   ... omitting the more difficult items like media type

   mccool: created a breakdown of sub-features to analyze this
   issue
   ... also may help improve the json-ld version
   ... created issues in the TD repo
   ... suggesting 3 sections for interactions, specializing on
   events, actions, and properties descriptions

   <kaz> [23]TD issues

     [23] https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/

   mccool: for example, the only place @type is required is to
   name the interaction type
   ... scripting TF report?

   <kaz> (Zoltan or Nimura-san not here)

   mccool: protocol bindings?

   mjkoster: had some binding features manually evaluated at the
   plugfest

   mccool: security TF, working on the paper to be submitted for
   NDIS conference
   ... an issue came up about authentication for semantic search
   ... including discussion of authenticated search and discovery
   in the paper

   <kaz> [24]NDSS DISS 2018 Workshop Paper on WoT Security Model

     [24] https://github.com/mmccool/ndss-wot-sec

   mccool: we should write up more about the thing directory
   ... maybe a note
   ... will be on vacation and travel for next 2 weeks
   ... expect to be busy on the paper between the 1st and the 8th
   ... asking Elena to run the security meetings for the next 2
   weeks
   ... pointer to the meeting minutes with this discussion

   <kaz> [25]draft minutes

     [25] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/04-08-wot-minutes.html

   mccool: send comments to Kaz
   ... and he will update the minutes

collaboration

   mccool: may be time to re-open the OCF liaison
   ... will be at the same location in the spring in Prague
   ... iot.schema.org has some issues and needs more work
   ... want to feed these issues back into the development
   ... github issues on iotschema-collab
   ... https should be used on iotschema
   ... schema.org doesn't use https

   [26]https://github.com/iot-schema-collab/iotschema/issues

     [26] https://github.com/iot-schema-collab/iotschema/issues

   mkoster to add an issue on iotschema repo about https

   mccool: need to present WoT to OCF

   mjkoster: suggest using Thing Description and RDF as a hogh
   level language to use in OCF Oneiota tool

   mccool: even if they don't adopt RDF, the ontologies provide
   useful information

   need to engage the OCF DM group and Smart Home group

   mccool: also need to move forward with oneM2M

   mjkoster: suggest a presentation we can have prepared to talk
   about semantic interoperability with other organizations
   ... zigbee alliance also is talking about having a universal
   language for IoT

   mccool: we should look at the data models from other orgs and
   make iotschema definitions

   kajimoto: what is the goal of the iot schema.org activity?
   ... how does it work with WoT

   mjkoster: the relationship between iotschema and W3C WoT is for
   iotschema to adopt the interaction model meta-classes of event,
   action, and property
   ... iotschema is a venue for domain experts from different
   industries to specialize their work on the semantic definitions
   that are needed for their industry
   ... for example, automotive experts can form a task group and
   create definitions for the automotive industry
   ... likewise, healthcare, automotive, etc.
   ... these definitions will be compatible with W3C TD because of
   the use of the common interaction model of events, actions, and
   properties

   <kaz> kajimoto: what is the relationship between iotscheme and
   schema.org?

   mjkoster: iotschema is expected to become part of schema.org,
   with common tools and representations such that developers
   using schema.org can easily add WoT functionality to their
   applications
   ... however, iotschema will need to have a new governance
   structure to accommodate the new contributors and diverse
   schema definitions
   ... the IPR model for iotschema follows schema.org, using the
   CC sharealike license, which is very permissive
   ... we are not planning to publish any definitions that have
   IPR claims attached to them
   ... finally, we will write up more of the above into our
   charter document for iotschema

TD call this Friday

   sebastian: topic: should we have a TD meeting on Friday
   ... who can not make it to the meeting on Friday?
   ... need to ask on email to see if we can get enough people

collaboration (revisited)

   <Zakim> kaz, you wanted to mention the great achievement of the
   orchestrated plugfest and appreciate the great support of
   Fujitsu for that

   kaz: we already have a liaison with OCF but not yet with
   onem2m?

   mccool: the OCF liaison is not complete because of an IPR
   question
   ... mkoster and mccool are still able to be informal liaison as
   members of both organizations
   ... if we can get OCF to adopt TD, then we will need a tighter
   relationship

   kaz: the informal liaison is OK for now, also with oneM2M with
   yongjing as co-member

   mccool: again, if we can get iotschema definitions for these
   ecosystems, we can have a better chance to engage

thanks to Fujitsu for PlugFest preparation logistics

   kaz: would like to acknowledge Fujitsu for all the support of
   the plugfest

   mccool: should generate a list of feedback items

   kaz: thanks to Taki for all the work and support

   mccool: move to adjourn

   <kaz> [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [27]scribe.perl version
    1.152 ([28]CVS log)
    $Date: 2017/11/16 04:29:57 $

     [27] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [28] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 16 November 2017 04:32:39 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 16 November 2017 04:32:40 UTC