Re: Proposal: Web Thing Protocol Community Group

Hi Michael,

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 18:15, Michael Lagally <Michael.Lagally@oracle.com>
wrote:

> I’m hesitant to think that forming another group with additional regular
> calls will be useful for the purpose of a harmonized protocol.
> This will put additional load to the current active contributors, and
> there are already ongoing discussions for protocol bindings and profiles.

To put your mind at rest, I do not expect there to be regular calls. I
expect the majority of collaboration to take place through GitHub, IRC and
the mailing list as with most W3C community groups. Anyone is welcome to
contribute as much or as little time as they are able, including non-W3C
members.

It is certainly my hope (as expressed through the Community Group charter
<https://benfrancis.github.io/web-thing-protocol-charter/>) that a default
HTTP protocol binding will be sufficiently defined through the WoT Working
Group so the Community Group won't need to work on that. I am not yet
confident from the current draft of the new Working Group charter that this
requirement will be met, so that could benefit from further discussion
<https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/873>. If it is met then the Web Thing
Protocol Community Group can focus only on a WebSocket sub-protocol, which
may itself in future be picked up by a W3C Working Group or the IETF.

I share your concern about fragmenting or further complicating the Web of
Things effort and would personally prefer for there to be a single WoT
specification created by a single group. But through discussions with many
W3C members, non-members, Mozilla reps and W3C staff I have concluded that
a new community group could be the best way to make progress on some
specific focused topics.

> I suggest we have a live discussion about the pros and cons next week in
> the WG/IG main call.

I will make sure I join that call. However, please be aware that the Web
Thing Protocol Community Group is no longer just a proposal. As it has met
the required number of sponsors, the group has automatically been created.
I expect work to begin immediately.

It would however be very useful discuss how the Community Group and Working
Group can best work together.

Best regards

Ben