Re: [T2TRG] Save the date: July 15/16, 2017: Workshop on IoT Semantic/Hypermedia Interoperability (at IETF99 in Prague)

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 13:23:35 +0200
Cc: Ari Keränen <ari.keranen@ericsson.com>, "t2trg@irtf.org" <t2trg@irtf.org>, "public-wot-ig@w3.org" <public-wot-ig@w3.org>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
On May 5, 2017, at 12:45, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> wrote:

> The reason why I am pointing this out is because I see a lot of ideas
> flying around but very few people who actually have real world problems
> to solve.

That may actually be a good element of the discussion:

Should research and standards development be focused on the today's, often single-purpose deployments of IoT or should we try for a more medium term vision of low-TCO, repurposable, loosely coupled, more Web-like deployments?  What are the real problems in the latter?  How can we keep the machine spinning that is doing the former and smoothly transition?  How do we avoid generating/succumbing to a lot of fiction in the process?  These are most definitely not easy questions.

Grüße, Carsten