W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-ig@w3.org > June 2017

[wot-ig/wg] minutes - 14 June 2017

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 22:28:02 +0900
Message-ID: <CAJ8iq9U2NjbGuHAe1Ok9cgJECY=LX-z7w13V0jH0p8x8BbMp1w@mail.gmail.com>
To: Public Web of Things IG <public-wot-ig@w3.org>, public-wot-wg@w3.org
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2017/06/14-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thanks a lot for taking these minutes, Michael McCool!

Kazuyuki

---

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                               WoT IG/WG

14 Jun 2017

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Agenda

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/06/14-wot-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Michael_McCool, Kaz_Ashimura, Daniel_Peintner,
          Dave_Raggett, Kunihiko_Toumura, Matthias_Kovatch,
          Michael_Koster, Taki_Kamiya, Zoltan_Kis, Achille_Zappa,
          Johannes_Hund, Katsuyoshi_Naka, Kazuaki_Nimura,
          Masato_Ohura, Takeshi_Yamada, Keiichi_Tokuyama,
          Yongjing_Zhang

   Regrets
          Darko_Anicic

   Chair
          Matthias

   Scribe
          Michael_McCool, Kaz

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]agenda
         2. [6]quick updates
         3. [7]marketing
         4. [8]outreach
         5. [9]F2F logistics
         6. [10]TF reports - TD
         7. [11]Scripting API TF report
         8. [12]Security TF
         9. [13]OCF Liaison
     * [14]Summary of Action Items
     * [15]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <mkovatsc>
   [16]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Agenda

     [16] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Agenda

   <kaz> scribenick: McCool

   <kaz> scribe: Michael_McCool

agenda

   no BigIoT call today; will be at Dusseldorf F2F; Bosch will
   therefore be at OpenDay

   add quick update about "marketing" to the agenda

   also policy about observers to F2F logistics

   also outreach

   <mkovatsc>
   [17]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#14_June_201
   7

     [17] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#14_June_2017

   (all above items under review of chair's meeting)

   cross-task-force collaboration

   to discuss collab of Security, Scripting, and Architecture

quick updates

   will be T2T update in Prague

   <mkovatsc>
   [18]https://github.com/t2trg/2017-07-wishi/blob/master/AGENDA.m
   d

     [18] https://github.com/t2trg/2017-07-wishi/blob/master/AGENDA.md

   Tim Carey, with Nokia

   <yongjing_> hi my browser collapsed again.

   <yongjing_> will connect the audio soon and provide some info
   regarding the oneM2M representative in T2TRG Workshop

   T2T will have talks from many "unions" or groups: OMA, IPSO,
   oneM2M, OCF, iot.schema.org, Haystack, Fairhair, etc

   a reequest template was sent around with list of specific
   questions to answer/discuss

   one or two pages in oneM2M will discuss WoT semantic interop,
   home appliance information models

   will be similar to what Yongjing has presented in WoT F2F
   previously

   Matthias to see if can get aligned with them

   Fairhair: metaspecification for BAC: BACnet, KNX, Zigbee; also
   interested in meta and binary representations of same

   Haystack: taxonomy vs. ontologies

   Sunday schedule not yet set... but will present on TD

   another topic for discussion: hypermedia, perhaps a more
   straightforward approach than Hydra (who will not be
   presenting...)

   name of the workshop includes this idea

   Michael Koster: annotating hypermedia controls was previously
   discussed

   Matthias: no registration fee needed, don't need IETF pass

   but do need to register, deadline is 23 June

   look at above link

   <mkovatsc> [19]https://github.com/t2trg/2017-07-wishi/

     [19] https://github.com/t2trg/2017-07-wishi/

marketing

   <inserted> scribenick: kaz

   McCool: discussion during the f2f and the Chairs call
   ... have not got feedback yet
   ... audience includes both the W3C Members and non-Members
   ... Kaz and Dave talking with the Comm/BusDev Team
   ... impact of W3C's WoT
   ... how to improve materials?
   ... ask you for a paragraph, etc.
   ... discussion for a few minutes here?
   ... if there are no specific opinions now, we can continue the
   discussion on the group list

   Matthias: sounds good

   McCool: would put a more coherent plan with the W3C MarComm
   team

   Matthias: hard to get opinions during the call directly
   ... materials from Osaka?

   McCool: would do that within a few weeks
   ... presented slides during the f2f

   <McCool> Matthias and Daniel also to be working on a proposal
   for an improved web presence

   McCool: maybe could update them next week
   ... maybe should create a pull request?

   Matthias: a flier on GitHub?

   McCool: we can issues, etc., too

   <inserted> scribenick: McCool

   McCool: to create a pull request for vision discussion

   kaz to create a marketing directory and/or repo

   might be best to not include this discussion in the public
   eye...

outreach

   for instance, AWS IoT/Greengrass; McCool looking into this

   might be hard to get for Dusseldorf, but plan B would be to aim
   for TPAC

   unless someone has a contact please talk to Michael

   <mkovatsc>
   [20]https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/tech-landscape/lands
   cape.html

     [20] https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/tech-landscape/landscape.html

   Matthias: would be good to update the technology landscape:
   needs both OpenFog and AWS GG

   for those that joined recently, if you could take a look and
   suggest changes?

   Michael to create a pull request, add AWS GG and OpenFog

   correction: will just edit directly for AWS GG and OpenFog, but
   if others want to add something can also do so, via an issue if
   necessary

F2F logistics

   <kaz> [21]f2f registration results

     [21] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/WoTF2F201707/results

   last monday was the deadline to register...

   kaz: 35 answers, 33 present, 2 remote

   but, hotel information was distributed late; will re-open site
   so people can add hotel information and affiliation

   also, several requests for observers; open day no problem, but
   also requests to observe plenary and breakout sessions

   many are universities (eg PhD students) but also industrial, eg
   BMW

   ok to attend, but we need to remind people of patent policy,
   etc.

   kaz to make a presentation at the beginning of the meeting on
   W3C IP policy

   Koster wants to invite someone from Google for iot.schema.org
   collab

   if just presenting work already public, no problem; but
   technical contributions

   kaz: we need to clearly mark which are IG and which are WG
   sessions

   I think just putting IG and WG on each Agenda item would be a
   good start

   also, agenda needs to be filled out

   each TF needs to propose some set of breakouts, at least

   there is now an "Input" section, we will schedule it later

   <mkovatsc>
   [22]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_9-13_July_2017,
   _D%C3%BCsseldorf,_Germany#Input

     [22] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_9-13_July_2017,_Düsseldorf,_Germany#Input

   what we have so far...

   BIGIoT project... specifically on marketplaces

   iot.schema.org

   Others? Matthias to reach out to Evrythng

   ICN?

   Matthias to try and find a speaker on this topic...

   one demo: wrap the following with a WoT interface:
   [23]https://github.com/01org/SmartHome-Demo

     [23] https://github.com/01org/SmartHome-Demo

   Koster has a specific proposal for how to do protocol bindings
   that this should also test

TF reports - TD

   want to conclude the current work on Friday, freeze it, then
   update current practices for plugfest

   <mkovatsc> [24]https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/

     [24] https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/

   <McCool_> scribe: McCool_

   (sorry, got dropped, had to rejoin)

   <inserted> scribenick: McCool_

   regarding TD spec: a lot of work still needed at current
   practice document still depends heavily on examples, needs a
   clearer definition of type system, etc

   kaz: material for plugfest version?

   Matthias: create osaka folder, capture previous test material

Scripting API TF report

   joint call with security TF on monday

   discussion of how to separate security contexts

   what assumptions can script writers make? See issue 30

   <jhund> [25]https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api/issues/30

     [25] https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api/issues/30

   issue with small device with only one context, vs cloud with
   multiple tenants, vs gateway that might add drivers

   there are several different scenarios that affect how security
   is handled; we have to decide what we can safely ignore

   also discussed protocol binding as a natural boundary

   zoltan: protocol bindings fairly complex; need more experience

   before we can draft what separation level is necessary

   what do we want to abstract?

   two other things brought up: firmware vs. dynamically loadable
   scripts

   second issue was what metadata is needed, what prior work, web
   manifests, etc.

   need to do threat analysis for various use cases

Security TF

   we discussed smart home use case; list of relevant threats

   next step would be a security architecture

   Elena is expecting some additional input on appropriate use
   cases (and contexts, eg gateway, endpoint, cloud service, etc)

   please do take the time to look at the threat analysis document
   and provide input

OCF Liaison

   Koster presented his protocol binding proposal

   will eventually make its way into a pull request to the TD

   then presented Smart Home demo... still working on getting it
   working on actual hardware

   then we have to actually implement a protocol binding... McCool
   to work on this, but probably won't be able to OSS it in time
   for F2F

   but should at least be able to demonstrate it.

   Matthias: anything else?

   kaz: how to make the collab between various TFs work better?

   maybe allocate some time for feedback during main call?

   Matthias: when TF has something that needs to be shared, then
   it is in the main call

   that is the whole idea of the updates, which should be focused
   on conclusions, not just we did this and did that

   McCool: other option is just to schedule a joint meeting

   kaz: will ask Kajimoto-san about his opinion

   Matthias: adjourn!

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [26]scribe.perl version
    1.152 ([27]CVS log)
    $Date: 2017/06/14 13:22:51 $

     [26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [27] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 14 June 2017 13:29:19 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:27:12 UTC