Re: Is the conformance to the Web architecture principles what distinguishes the IoT and the WoT ?

Hi Maxime,

Very interesting question. I think the issue is that there is the Web of
Things as defined around 2007 and then published in the the two papers you
are citing (I would also have a look at
http://www.vs.inf.ethz.ch/publ/bibtex.html?file=papers/dguinard_09_WOTMashups
which
was the first peer-reviewed one)
and then there is the W3C WoT definition.

This is actually a topic we discussed at the TPAC: there is a world outside
of W3C where the WoT as a concept has been used and implemented for the
past 10 years. So if you want the W3C WoT definition then Dave's email is
an interesting direction. What's to be noted btw is that the W3C WoT IG is
not completely diverging from the early work, but more building an
interoperability framework.

If however you want the practical definition then your two proposal are
perfectly reflecting the real-world. What I would do is mix them:

"The Web of Things is a refinement of the Internet of Things by integrating
smart things not only into the Internet (the network), but into the Web
(the application layer thus becoming conformant the Web Architecture
principles."

How does this sound?

Dom

Dominique Guinard, Ph.D. ////