Re: Representative sample of industry protocols

On 25 October 2016 at 10:32, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:

> I love HTTP, and initiated its standardisation in the IETF in the
> nineties, but the wide variation in requirements across different
> application domains means that the Web of things can’t be limited to HTTP
> and WebSockets.  That said, I agree that defining protocol bindings to HTTP
> should be a high priority given its widespread use for connecting gateways
> to the cloud.

Hi Dave,

Of course I recognise your incredibly long history of contributions to the
web, but I don't think I understand your definition of the Web of Things.
How would you describe the Web of Things if not giving Things URLs on the
web?

Surely if non-web protocols such as those you have listed are being used
rather than web protocols then what you're talking about is the Internet of
Things, but by definition not the Web of Things?

Ben