Re: YANG inspirations for TD

> On 3 Oct 2016, at 07:41, Robert Gallas <gallas.robert@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> There is and ongoing discussion about thing description (TD). I'd like to point community to YANG modelling language ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6020 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6020> ) . YANG is built to address very same requirements as TD. It has updatable properties, rpc`s, event streams, data types etc.
>
> However even YANG is complex language and out of W3C standards it has some interesting concepts which can serve as an inspiration for next TD version. I mean mainly:
>
> - hierachical data model (helps in model maintainability and supports contexts)
> - value constraints (great help at UI generation, widget design and reduces network traffic)
> - interaction types concept (good for extensibility)
>
> Hope helps a bit.
>
> Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the input.  Could I kindly ask you for an explanation of what you refer to as interaction types and how these differ from the data models?  In addition, is it possible to point to the use cases and requirements?  This would help the Working Group, as every feature needs to be grounded in commercially relevant use cases.

Many thanks,
—
   Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org <mailto:dsr@w3.org>>