Re: [T2TRG] 3. WoT Thing needs to have meta Band

The type facet is useful for displaying a default icon for the device.  If it supports an icon facet, you can get a better icon URI (including data: if you like) from the device itself.

The most interesting bit to include is a list of protocols that the device supports.  For example:

tag:jhildebr@cisco.com,2016-02-11:on-off
urn:ietf:iot:dim01

(i.e. once those protocols are standardized by someone, they can mint better URIs, but RFC4151 defines my current-favorite scheme for minting unique strings)

Once you know that a device speaks urn:ietf:iot:dim01, you can send it commands using a protocol denoted by that string.  In this case, it might be a POST to https://[IP]/iot/dim with the JSON document:

{ "dim": 0.5 }

Or there might be a URI discovery step ahead of that, if you don't care about latency.

See XEP-115 (http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0115.html) for what we've learned in XMPP about this stuff.  If you can use 115's hash trick, you can fit a good amount of description in a DNS TXT record, which means MDNS is a great way to discover a device, it's type, and it's protocol capabilities.

--
Joe Hildebrand