Re: Device Discovery and Telehash

Hi Tibor,

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Tibor Pardi <tibor@zovolt.com> wrote:

> P2P seems to me the natural and very obvious solution to manage device
> discovery. I.e. user Alice purchase a door opener device, the device goes
> on-line with its PPK public key and join to the P2P Kademlia DHT network,
> user Alice mobile/tablet device find the door on the P2P network. Later
> family member user Bob find and can control the device as well. The
> communication is end to end encrypted with symmetric AES using ECDH key
> exchange and the data integrity is guaranteed using ECDSA. The difficult
> task of device discovery can be managed with a relatively simple open source
> software without using Microsoft, Amazon, Google, etc. cloud nor the need of
> a closed source proprietary corporate software. So the open source solution
> can be peer reviewed to verify it complies with standards and there are no
> security back doors exists. As long as two users are on the internet the P2P
> network can be formed and more users - by the nature of P2P data sharing -
> should make the network more stable and responsive. On the other hand more
> users in the client/server paradigm require more resources, licenses, load
> balancer and cluster servers.

Speaking about your use-case with connected door-lock:
http://slock.it/. These guys are using Ethereum
(https://www.ethereum.org/) Blockchain, and the code can be found
here: https://github.com/slockit/slock-js

I do not have much knowledge in P2P networking, so it will take me
some time to crunch the info, but definitevly people start to
recognize potential more and more...

> I have designed a "private" P2P module and now I am integrating it into W3C
> code base. The "private" P2P allows that for example a family or business or
> community run a Kademlia DHT that is isolated from the public network and
> only designated accounts can connect to such private network. This
> introduces an additional layer of security as well as can isolate devices
> from the public network.
>
> Please note the code is experimental and early stage, but I am working on
> the improvements. Please let me know if you need any assistance with the
> code.

One more thing that maybe you can explain me (if you know) is this
part - https://github.com/telehash/blockname - it serves as some kind
of DNS resolver?

BTW. I presume that you are awared that Jeremie Miller (creator of
XMMP and Telehash) is building a company based on Telehash:
http://filament.com/. As you mentioned - idea is to form blockchain
protected local industrial networks. From what I see here:
https://github.com/telehash/TMesh, it looks like they will go through
LoRa to reach 15km distance, but I can not be sure (not so much info
to conclude).

What I am looking on my side is a simple and secure protocol that can
somehow simplify PHY layer, so that I can find on RF level something
that can hit at least 10km with extremely low power (and probably low
data rate) with off-the-shelf chips - like ST Spirit1 or TI's CC1310.
But that is another story :).

BR,
Drasko