Re: [Charter]: include both Scripting and REST API

> On 8 Dec 2016, at 12:08, Kis, Zoltan <zoltan.kis@intel.com> wrote:
>
> [We'd need to set the WoT github repo to send emails on issue comments...]
>
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org <mailto:dsr@w3.org>> wrote:
> Just to point out that W3C already has a standard API for REST as part of the Open Web Platform, so we would need to justify why a new API is needed.
>

> That's a good point. Which one did you mean? I have found these:
> https://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/charter <https://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/charter> (expired), general spec here: https://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/>
> https://www.w3.org/community/hydra/ <https://www.w3.org/community/hydra/> (http://www.hydra-cg.com/spec/latest/core/ <http://www.hydra-cg.com/spec/latest/core/> )
>
> The above are good input for WoT REST. The latter is a special application, with specific use cases (which are shared with the WoT Scripting API). We can't expect to work on a WoT REST API in that WG/CG, right? For instance Thing Descriptions are not discussed there, either.
>
> We can discuss and then embrace, drop or transfer REST API work, but the point is, can we arrive to this in the WoT WG, and does the WoT WG charter allow working on that.

Web page scripts are able to use REST through the XMLHttpRequest interface and this has been very widely used, and as far as I can see could be re-used outside of the browser context.

But before we go further, I agree with Matthias that it would be helpful if you would clarify your assumptions.

—
   Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org <mailto:dsr@w3.org>>