From: Nilsson, Claes1 [mailto:Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 12:14 PM
To: 'Dave Raggett'
Cc: 'public-wot-ig@w3.org'
Subject: RE: [TF-AP]: Using CoAP for bi-directional communication

Regarding the discussion on sleep mode, wake-up, the ability for an IoT device to act on REST calls and the battery drain issue I talked to a Bluetooth expert.

To save battery BLE goes into "sleep-mode" when the device is inactive. However, to keep the connection open BLE wakes up and sends "connection messages" with an interval of typically 1-2 seconds. During this "wake-up" the BLE-device can send data to and receive data from the other peer. Accordingly, a BLE device can send and receive messages with a max delay of the BLE connection message interval.

So, if we run the Bluetooth Smart, i.e. the IPv6 Bluetooth profile and CoAP/UDP,  and the device is behind a NAT/Firewall, the device can respond to REST calls under the condition that the UDP port is open, with a delay of 1-2 seconds. However, the main issue is probably the battery drain caused by the keep-alive messaging needed to keep the NAT/firewall UDP port open.

BR
  Claes

Claes Nilsson
Master Engineer - Web Research
Research&Incubation

Sony Mobile Communications
Tel: +46 70 55 66 878
claes1.nilsson@sonymobile.com<mailto:Firstname.Lastname@sonymobile.com>

sonymobile.com<http://sonymobile.com/>

[Sony logotype_23px height_Email_144dpi]